How to stop a paintball mask or goggles from fogging up?

Discussion in 'Masks' started by Richie, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Richie

Richie Administrator Staff Member

Quick Answer: Drop the cash and get a thermal lense

Ask a person who was out playing paintball for the day about the worst thing about the day and 9 times out of ten the answer will be, ''Man, I couldn't see a thing''

It sucks when it happens, you have a perfect shot lined up..... well you think you do, cause you can't see properly because your mask was fogged up.

Why does it happen?
    It all boils down to simple, basic thermodynamics... well thermodynamics is not that simple.

OK, think if your car windscreen or some old house if you know one. Do you ever notice that on rainy days the window fogs up? Well it is the same principle as with your paintball mask.

The inside of the car.... or your face in this case is warmer than the outside of the glass. Warm air can hold more moisture than cold air. Now, the outside of the window or mask is colder, and this cools the glass in the windscreen or plastic in the mask. This cools all the plastic and cools a layer of air on the inside of the glass/mask.

Cool air holds less air than warm air, hence tiny water droplets beginning to form on the inside and 'fog up' the place.....simple right?

The same thing happens with a cool can of drink or bottle of cold water. You see water droplets form on the side and being to run down the side.

How can I stop it next time?
    Well you can not stop breathing which prevent more moist air flow around your mask. So your BEST option is to buy your own mask with what's called a 'thermal lense'. This is basically just like a double pain window in your house. There are two layers of glass separated by a small, sealed layer of air that insulates the window and stops the temperature of the inside dropping = no condensation.

There are two types of thermal lens, but you can worry about that once you decide to take the plunge. You can get a decent mask with thermal lens from about €40 and up.

But I don't want to buy a paintball mask
    If you are only going to be using rental gear then here is a tip. Washing up liquid is great:

• Bring some with you in a very small bottle or pre apply to some cloths
    • Pour just one drop onto the inside of your lens
    • DO NOT add water
    • Spread the liquid around the inside of the lens
    • Soak up any excess with a tissue or cloth
    • This will stop your fogging for about 20mins / a game and maybe more depending on conditions.

Remember to Always wear your paintball mask properly when playing
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2009
  2. metalfest

metalfest New Member

Re: How to stop my paintball mask or goggles from fogging up

could you not go to a motorcycle shop and use the stuff that you rub into the visor of a helmet to stop it fogging up?
    costs like €5...
  3. Richie

Richie Administrator Staff Member

Only if you do not have a thermal lense.

If you have a thermal lense you will not fog under normal circumstances.
  4. eoin99

eoin99 Active Member

They have used this stuff up in barrage before, and it does help. They have found though, that you are better off getting the designed for paintball stuff.
  5. Mark K

Mark K Member

if your stuck with a cheap non thermal lense - I use a small bit of wash up liquid on the inside of the lense,.
    then spread it out so that ye cant see it but it leaves a fine film.
    wash liquid is easy to find and cheap.
  6. eoin99

eoin99 Active Member

Again, I still reccomend uing the designed for paintball anti-fog. Washing up liquid is a goo quick fix, but doesn't work as well as the stuff that is actually meant to be used as antifog.
  7. Mark K

Mark K Member

ive used both and would say theres not much difference... also ye cant run into the kitchen and grab a bottle of pb- anti fog.
  8. Cerberus

Cerberus Gaming God

you can if your weird and stock that kind of thing in your kitchen :D
  9. Mark K

Mark K Member

I actually use paintball anti-fog to wash my dishes..:D
  10. Cerberus

Cerberus Gaming God

They make your hands nice and shiny and your dishes lovely and soft!

Or is that the other way around? :roll:
  11. Mark K

Mark K Member

I think we've almost killed this topic ...

back ot.

I Definitly agree that poor sight would be the number one complaint on a paintball site ..

any ideas how to remedy this ....?
    Each system needs to be washed of bacteria and sweat at the end of each day.

Thermal lenses get fubar when they hit water especially hot water..

even single lense thermal type get wreked.

..?????
  12. spaz

spaz New Member

it does say not to use hot water on thermal lenses. just cold water and never touch them. ever. even if your life depends on it.
  13. Mark K

Mark K Member

yup , mentioned that., now how do we clean the masks..?do we take off the lense of each after use..?

would take all day..
  14. Cerberus

Cerberus Gaming God

I do, I strip down all my gear after each session and clean it. That includes the mask and lens
  15. THE CHAIRMAN

THE CHAIRMAN New Member

he's talking about rentals, he works in a punter site.
  16. Mark K

Mark K Member

yeh i clean mine the same,

but in terms of a paintball site looking to improve on the issue customer blindness.

how would you clean say 250 goggles with say 2 marshalls in 2 1/2 hours...?
  17. Cerberus

Cerberus Gaming God

Ah right didnt see that, No the downside for that is the time, Best thing is to dunk em in a bucket and give them a wipe, I think as far as punterball goes unless your going to fork out the extra money on Thermal lenses then its always going to be an issue, and it does not make sense to pay that much for thermal gear for punters
  18. Mark K

Mark K Member

we tried with 50 proto type single lens that were supposed to be anti-fog but sure after washin em a few times they would fog up like normal.

also tried the thermal (double lens) type but water got in between the lenzs.
  19. Tua Cathach

Tua Cathach New Member

i would disagree .. if fogged up goggles is the main complaint people have then surely a sight that has thermal goggles will do better.. ok its an exspensive outlay at the start, but in the long term i reckon definate value for money..

to get back OT.... to clean the lenses with just the 2 of ya's there would it not be best to have a shit load of rags there... one guy cleans off the heavy paint, dirt or whatever and the second polish the lenses... makes more sense than having to strip down a load of masks...

this could be done at the end of the day when you've no more punters coming on site..

dusty as a man who runs a site whats your views on the matter
  20. eoin99

eoin99 Active Member

The thing with thermal lenses is that punters will destroy them after a week or two. You can't replace the lenses every week and thermal lenses that are wrecked are actually worse then single lenses. Thats why sites don't go for thermal. its not just an initial outlay cost.