which mask

Discussion in 'Masks' started by Ravin_sk, May 4, 2008.

1. Ravin_sk

Ravin_sk Active Member

i am looking at masks and have a chance to buy a V FORCE PROFILER PAINTBALL MASK used. but i was going to wait and get the V FORCE GRILL PAINTBALL MASK new i was thinking the the profiler would do for a start just to get me going on the paint ladder but is it worth buying at all? and what kit should i look in to getting next i like woodball but am up to having a go at speedball
  2. DaveJ

DaveJ Karny 4 Life

Keep your money for the Grill. Don't worry about getting a jersey and pants just yet, have a go at speedball and see if you like it first. Then if you join a team, get their kit.
  3. Ciaran

Ciaran Member

Definately keep your money for the Grill well worth it, I have one and you can literally strip it down for cleaning in 15 seconds.
  4. matt_d

matt_d New Member

Proflex!
  5. Doc_Savage

Doc_Savage New Member

6. Mick_Dundee

Mick_Dundee New Member

Save up the money and go with the grillz, you won't regret it.
  7. THE CHAIRMAN

THE CHAIRMAN New Member

I personally would use an Events, but between a profiler and a grill, defo the grill, its not that much extra anyway, and a good mask is the most important thing..
  8. weedave

weedave New Member

DO NOT BUY A PAIR OF GRILLS!

I've used alot of different masks and grills would be at the bottom of my list.

Go with JT mate - the most popular paintball mask in the world and it is for a reason. Or if you don't like the look of the JTs - go with Dye and get an i3 pro...

I have a proflex, i3 pro and a pair of grills... the grills never leave my bag EVER! I'm just glad i didn't have to pay for them.
  9. SliceNDice

SliceNDice New Member

what's with the grill hating?
  10. weedave

weedave New Member

Its not just me mate - i don't know many people who like them..

1. Their ugly as hell
    2. The lenses are shit (main point here!)
    3. If it rains you can't just wear a beanie with a peak on it to cover the vents because of that stupid big dip in the frame
    4. Its the most expensive mask on the market...and it doesn't justify its price tag.

JT proflex... £49.99 - can't go wrong.
  11. Tomas

Tomas New Member

I love my E Vents. there is extra part for covering that gap from rain and small chance of bounce of forehead ...
  12. Rob

Rob Unmodified

OK - skipping ugly and price.

Can you clarify "sh1t lenses" - do you mean fogging, optics, easily scratched or something else?

I've a Grill - but I still think JT thermals are best lenses out there (except when it comes to changing lenses). Going to pick up another proflex later this year.

So far haven't had any problems with the rain over the last year - and hasn't exactly been dry here.
  13. Jaf

Jaf New Member

The protection isn't that great around the ear lobe jaw line area.
  14. weedave

weedave New Member

All of the above.

I never said you would have a problem with the rain... all i said was a beanie with a peak on it is useless because of that stupid pointless dip in the frame.

Where as if it rains my peak on beanie can cover the vents so no rain can get in where as with the grills you'd have to use the mask peak.
  15. Jaf

Jaf New Member

You wouldn't be seen dead wearing a peak even in a tropical rain storm, it just wouldn't be good for your image. You'll never Billy Wing it.
  16. DaveJ

DaveJ Karny 4 Life

I'm not a fan of the Proflex....I just wouldnt feel safe, I'd feel like I was gona get shot in the teeth or something, the mouth piece is just too soft and springy. I know people who have said it is great for bounces...but I have heard people say that it hurts if you get shot in the mouth piece also.

I think the Grills is a good mask if you are picking from just those two, but my fav and what I would recommend would probably be a Dye i3 or Events.
  17. Rob

Rob Unmodified

...which is finicky to fit.

I'll give you the scratching without an argument - looking at a lenses here I use for training - got a few impact marks from close range snap shooting drills.
    Game one looks fine though.

No fogging problems and optics were fine - but to be honest optical clarity is fine in most of the masks I've tried.

Raven - try before you buy - IXL or SOD is your best bet.
  18. Doc_Savage

Doc_Savage New Member

i tried both of them on and neither of them fitted me well.. and the Events although really nice left almost an inch of my chin visible.. it's very important to try out the masks to check what fits!

most of the manufacturers are similarly sized throughout their range.

BTW i had a bounce off the mouth of my grill at the intervarsities and no chinslap! good as a proflex!

Basic buying tips:
    make sure the lens is thermal.
    try not to buy a hard plastic mask.
    Try one out and make sure it's comfortable(most important thing)
    buy a suitable colour.. if you like woodsball don't but a white mask!
  19. weedave

weedave New Member

Don't you mean i'll never John McAuley it?
  20. cosmo

cosmo New Member

maybe he means billy wing it,swing it.....
    cockney slang is really obscure sometimes....