Woodsball Tip: Don't use a tinted lens

Discussion in 'Masks' started by Richie, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Richie

Richie Administrator Staff Member

As Bez found out recently and I found out before up at escarmouche a while ago, a tinted lens on a mask can adversely affect your game is the lightning is bad.

The idea of a tinted lens if for sunny days, mainly for speedball when there is no tree cover to block out the sun. In these conditions, a tinted lens is perfect as it stops you squinting a bit and it will help you see better in a game. They are basically like sunglasses.

However, bring the game in to the woods and you change things. The trees are already blocking out some sun light which makes the place that bit darker. So the effect of the tinted lens if that you are not struggling to see, like waring sunglasses indoors basically.

If it is a sparse forest and there is plenty of sunlight, then there maybe no problem. But if it is a cloudy day, mix that with the cover of the trees and you will have trouble.

Some people have to ware tinted lens alright if they are sensitive to bright light... BigBad mentioned some thing about this to me, maybe he can come in and explain it a bit better.

So to sum up, Use a dark tinted lens if:

You have to
    You really really want to
    If there is plenty of light

Don't ware them if:
    If you can not see 40ft clearly in front of you.

Simple really folks. So just remember, if buying a mask with a tinted lens, get a clear one also.
  2. Ciaran

Ciaran Member

You can get photochromatic lenses for some masks too, the ones that change from tinted to clear depending on lighting conditions, thought they're mad expensive!
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2009
  3. ion c

ion c New Member

yellow lenses are recommended for low light situations.
  4. THE CHAIRMAN

THE CHAIRMAN New Member

Amber ones help contrast in low-light conditions by filtering out darker blue light, apparently. That's why proffesional olympic shooters wear yellow goggles.
  5. eoin99

eoin99 Active Member

I think the photochromatic ones would be ok for speedball as they would adjust between clear and dark, but if it got too dark, like in woodsball, I think you'd be better with a standard lense anyway.
  6. Mingin

Mingin New Member

I'll vouch for the clear for woodsball, could not see a farking thing the last time I was up at Frontier
  7. ion c

ion c New Member

i use a chrome lens on sunny days, a fade blue on a mixed light day and a clear on dark days.
  8. BigBad

BigBad Member

Ok folks, for those that are unsure of using mirrored/tinted or plain lenses..............

For those that wear glasses (like myself) but can't wear them under the goggles then I found a chrome prism lens the best in any game, as some of you found last year :? Admitadly it does not assist on how far you can see but it reduces glare big time and I'm comfortable with them.

As it has been mentioned a tinted or partial tint is probably the best way to go for woodsball but, and this is a big BUT, it is down to each one of you to identify the type of lens you feel comforatable with in whichever scenario you are playing in.

So, for those that want to know what would be best here is what I would recommend:

Woodsball - Clear/Tint or Half-tint
    Air Sup (speedball/open air) - Tinted or Mirrored

The only part of advise here is ensure it's a thermal lens as some goggles supply single lenses as a cheaper option.
  9. eoin99

eoin99 Active Member

I think if you are going to go with one lense, it should just be a simple clear one. In Ireland there's rarely enough sun to justify needing a tinted lense. If you do have buy two lenses and its easy enough to switc between then I can see the value of it, but if you're trying to save a bit of cash and just want to buy one lense then go with a clear one so you don't have the trouble of only being able to play when its sunny out.
  10. Dusty

Dusty Ask someone else....

i have a blue fade tint lens in my jt's and i love it. must get some of you lot to get me a couple at a millenium event.

darker blue at the top, fading gradually down to a clear ish lens. great for when the sun is above you and to the front.
  11. eoin99

eoin99 Active Member

I've seen those actually, they seem to do the job, Would probably be better suited to Irish sun where glare is really only at the top of your vision (if there is any of course)
  12. Milkshake

Milkshake New Member

I agree with ionc and use the lenses according to the sun, here in the summer we have a lot of bright days and wide open fields, the sun is a problem if you are out late in the evening. I suggest using what you are comfortable with. To me it is like the best marker question, some like tippy's, others egos, you have to be comfortable with all of yor gear and your mask is alot more important than anything else you have. Right? Try using that expensive marker when you cannot see 2 meters in front of you. Might as well walk on the field blindfolded, naked, shooting balls through a straw.
  13. eoin99

eoin99 Active Member

Actually I do have something on topic to add. I don't know how much those low light amber lenses help in reality, I'd be interested to get a first hand account of how wel they work
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2009
  14. Dusty

Dusty Ask someone else....

actually yellow works fairly well. orange lenses work too, but if the paintballs are orange you are goosed.
  15. THE CHAIRMAN

THE CHAIRMAN New Member

I think Mactic has a yellow lens, said it worked really well in low-lite, stuff was clearer
  16. eoin99

eoin99 Active Member

heh, I can imagine.
  17. Whupass

Whupass Hi! Haaaavvvve you met Ted?

i have the dye hd lense (yellowy orange) and i have to squint when i take it off in work. it's great
  18. Milkshake

Milkshake New Member

Too many people eating beans, that is what is making the cloud cover, lol, do not light a match on a hill top!
    I saw a guy yesterday with the full head JT mask that had some of the lense tinted, like a car windsheild, strange looking, but he said it kept the glare down, wish I took a pic.
  19. Richie

Richie Administrator Staff Member

Just bumping this topic to remind people who are preparing for the walk on at frontier or those who play woodsball a lot. Try it with out a tinted lens or even better an amber lense.
  20. paulie

paulie Active Member

lens

I use the events and ive learned the hards way with lens, tried standard tinted,got a fire lens and eventually got the amber one which is the only one that works for woodsball.Works better than a clear lens i find.
    Also have a jt proteus which im getting a yellow lens too.

Yellow and amber all the way for woodsballers, hopefully will be a great day out and a good turn out